Thursday, July 11, 2013

Life Expectancy

The average life expectancy is 78.6, so how long do you expect to live? Lets start here and work through the plusses and minuses. Surprised me were giving birth to a boy -1 year(I'm shocked that it doesn't specify which parent it applies to so I'll say both) and flossing each day +4 years.

I never heard of the Okinawa Diet so I figured I'd learn more here and here. I wasn't too surprised that being poor is a -5 years, but if you are wealthy and live in Monaco you get +14 years.

For the record, I consume many vegetable and prefer to cook many of them rather than eating them raw. The benefits of say a tomato can only be had when it is cooked, that's why sauces, for example, are more beneficial than your salad tomato.

This study also lacks the male and female factor. So I'll add it and prepare to be surprised. Here is Social Security's take on it and they even give you a calculator. Although women outlived men by as much as 5 years the gap in the United States is narrowing perhaps because women aren't treated for symptoms such as cholesterol and blood pressure. We are just starting to see that symptoms of a heart attack are different in women than men.

Back a few years we wondered why do women outlive men? If you are rich, then men are catching up. Whatever you want to assume, the fact is that men are narrowing the longevity gap with women. My own theory is that the gap has been narrowing since women entered the workforce and in many households they are now the primary breadwinners. They are subjected to poorer diets and work stress in its many forms and pressures.

If you're like me, you don't really want to know what the numbers say about your life expectancy. So reflect on the positive and look for your Real Age and try to improve it. Yes that is a Dr. Oz and Dr. Rozien website. I knew it before I even knew Dr Oz!

No comments:

Post a Comment