Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Healthy Facts About Healthy Nutrition

Over the years, I have made and seen many mistakes when it comes to nutrition. I remember the all-you-can-eat salad bars. Most of the healthy ingredients were offset by the unhealthy ingredients. If you used prepared salad dressings, your fat and caloric intake(not to mention sodium) killed the benefits of the healthy ingredients. Then you had the 'extras' that weren't at all healthy like pasta salads and chicken wings!

I usually make my own dressings, with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. The vinegar is mostly balsamic, but I also use red wine, apple cider and even distilled. I like experimenting and alter the flavor by either increasing the oil or the vinegar. My spices are limited or no (sea or Kosher) salt, turmeric, black pepper, basil, oregano, and garlic salt to name a few. If I do buy the commercial dressings, I look for lowest fat, sodium and sugar contents. Stay clear from the bargains because they aren't the healthiest. I also try to only use the serving size, because you run into trouble when you over indulge, as most do.

If you want ingredients for a super salad start here. Although, I prefer my chard and kale cooked, and spinach can go either way, I am not one to use them in my salad. Now, note #9:

No. 9: Iceberg Lettuce


Portion: 1/6 of a medium head
Calories: 10
Carbs: 2 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Iceberg lettuce may be the most popular of all the salad greens, but it's definitely not the healthiest diet choice. Although the calories may be comparable to other salad greens, the nutrients are not. Still, crispy and inexpensive iceberg doesn't completely deserve its bad reputation. "It has a high water count so it contributes to your daily fluid needs," says McVaugh, "and it is still a vegetable."
 
I always said that iceberg isn't really healthy per se, other than being a good water source that helps you fill up quicker. It shouldn't be eaten alone because it has very little nutrients.
 
Whatever nutrition you are on, you're asking for trouble if your idea of vegetable is the potato with your meat. Vegetables should be what people consume most during their meals. You will notice that most times there is a list of foods that can fight what ails you, vegetables are always on the list. So don't be surprised at the foods that boost your brain power. Speaking about brain-boosting foods, there are more here.
 
If you need to burn fat fast, try these foods. I talked about the importance of fiber, now meet some fiber bombs. If you need energy, try these foods. There are low carb fruits that can help if your diabetic.
 
So most of us have been told our fill on the healthy foods, but what about those to avoid? There are those that appear to be healthy, but aren't. It always pays to look at the flip-side of the coin. When it comes to frozen foods, I try to avoid them unless absolutely necessary, except for frozen veggies. I will admit that at one time they were a staple at work and they did help me stay healthy. I think they are OK if used occasionally because they are usually high in sodium. Here's the best ones for weight loss.
 
Here are facts and fiction about ways to boost your metabolism.

Eggs are a perfect nutritious food but should be limited to four a week.
 
You can bet there will be more to say about healthy nutrition, because it is a central issue for healthy lifestyles.

No comments:

Post a Comment