Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Power Of Leafy Greens

Food is what I consider to be the foundation of health. Speaking for myself, at one time I was hitting the gym religiously and still had a gut. Case in point is when I would take on any all-you-can eat specials!


Today, I make sure I pick the best greens and other ingredients for my salad. My salad dressing is simply oil and vinegar, and sometimes some lemon juice. I try to limit my sodium by using spices such as turmeric, black pepper and garlic salt.


We are in the middle of a kale revolution, as everyone seems put kale on their shopping list. Here are some ideas for kale salad. Because of its affect on the thyroid and high vitamin K content, kale should be limited to 3-4 times a week.


I am practically addicted to this greens and beans recipe. I tend to mix the greens and will use kale, spinach, beet greens, chard, etc., in one pot full!


Knowing your leafy greens and their nutritional value may or may not teach you something. For instance, I did not consider broccoli a leafy green but I did know that iceberg offers minute nutrition. More on the health benefits of the healthy leafy greens here.



No comments:

Post a Comment