Monday, January 20, 2014

Sodium Watchers Beware

One of my health issues is high blood pressure. In my case it is both hereditary and due to lifestyle issues that have dealt me this unfortunate battle. If I have an issue because I once chose to smoke, I must assume responsibility for my acquired health issues due to that fact. On the other hand, the pharmaceutical industry isn't helping if it doesn't raise obvious red-flags to health issues overlooked by the consumer. Then again, we do have the "Let the buyer beware" clause in everything that runs our lives today. So the child's rants of "Not It!" and "I called it!" are legal and binding laws?


Perhaps I need to point out something I wasn't aware of, and although it is my responsibility to watch it, there is a high sodium content in over the counter medication, or OTCs, that we may buy and think nothing of it. High sodium content in medicine is especially true in the effervescent variety that is used from headaches to flus and beyond.


The real problem comes if you can't swallow pills and need effervescent medicine because you have high blood pressure.  You might need to consult with your physician to help in this matter. It is yet another factor we must consider if we are monitoring our sodium intake and wonder why we aren't successful;

No comments:

Post a Comment